This course is a comprehensive introduction to cruising for new and inexperienced skippers.
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
We are continually updating our courses to take into account developments in technology and the electronic navigation aids now available on most cruising boats.
The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. It can be covered as a series of short sessions on weekends and evenings or as an intensive 5 day course.
Course topics include:
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
Contact us to arrange your course.